Thursday, April 22, 2010

How I Met My House

A little over two years ago I was introduced to our first house. Our introduction was not a welcomed one, in fact I did not want to have anything to do with the house!
Let's start at the beginning. We were living in a one bedroom apartment, and found out we were having a baby! Excited and aware of the need for more room we set out on the search for our first house. Setteling on building our nest in the burbs, we put things in motion to start construction on our new home.

Here I am about 6 months pregnant, standing in the construction of our first house.
Hubby and I - tired but so excited (at this point of the building process...)

We soon found out that having a home built is so much work, even though we did not pick up a hammer! Hubby made daily visits to the house as construction was going on. Stressful times! The building process drug on and my tummy was growing.
Finally we were nearing the end and the closing date was set, or so we thought...A worker had run a tractor into the front of our house, while leveling the yard for landscaping! Oh my! Did not see that one coming huh?

As the builder scrambled to fix the problem, we were moving into my parents house with about two months until my due date! This was not the plan, but our lease was up and we had to move, house or no house! Hubby and our wonderful friends and family packed our apartment into a PODS container and off we went.
Some time later the house was fixed and we were on our way to the closing table once again. Then we get the call that changes everything. The day before closing, the sales manager called. Apparently the house was built over the front easement line, and was to be torn down!! At this point we were a little over one month away from meeting our first baby and I did not have a nest to fluff! You can imagine the hormonal melt down.
The whole process was one giant struggle and between hubby and my dad, they found another home in the same neighborhood that was in the builder inventory. I was about to meet our first home and I was not a happy camper. Don't get me wrong, the new house was bigger, in a nicer section, and had all the bells and whistles, but it was not the house we had spent 5 months building. With a deep discount in price on the new home (hmm...I wonder why? haha) we settled on buying the house, and moved in 3 weeks before Elise arrived!
Here is our home.

Looking back on the process, we can see God's hand all over the situation. He was in control and the first house just was not in the plan. We love our new house and are so grateful for the way it all worked out.

Head on over to
Our Suburban Cottage


  1. What a story! Brings back memories for me as we built our house. We lived in a tiny travel trailer 3 people, 3 dogs, until we moving into a metal garage. Then I was washing dishes in the bathroom sink and cooking where we parked cars. Horror.

    God has a plan even when it's not what we expect and I'm happy all worked out for you.

  2. Wow - I can't even imagine!! We were selling our Dream House and closed when I was 7 or so months pregnant - I had MANY hormone meltdowns!!

    So glad it all worked out in the end - funny how that always happens but you (I) can never see it in the midst of all the chaos!!

  3. Wow, that is quite a story, and last minute for preparing for baby's arrival. I would have been a hormonal wreck as well! Glad it all worked out in the end ;)


I love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!