Saturday, March 27, 2010

Making Whoopie!

We spent our Saturday morning making Whoopie Pies! I had no idea what these were until last Saturday's visit to Sur La Table. The sweet lady behind the counter introduced me to their special of the day, the Whoopie Pie pan! Now, I am not by any means a baker. In fact everything I try to bake turns out slightly runny, dry, burnt, you name it! I have mastered two recipes in my time. One is the giant cookie cake, and second oatmeal cookies. For me to buy this pan and give it a try was huge! Besides how could I resist, look at this little pan with the delicious photos of perfect little whoopie pies.

So here we are a week after the big baking purchase and I am all set to make Whoopie!
(following the recipe on the back of the pan by Wilton


Whoopie Pie Ingredients
1/2 cup (1stick) butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; beat until well combined.
In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add half the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and mix on low speed.
When dry ingredients are almost incorporated, stop the mixer and add the buttermilk. Continue to mix on low speed until all ingredients are almost incorporated. Stop the mixer and add the remaining dry ingredients. Mix on low until just combined.
Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter into each cavity (of the baking pan); spread batter to the edges. Cavity should be about 2/3 full.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the top of the cake springs back when touched. Allow cakes to cool in pan 8 minutes. Cool completely before filling. To assemble pies spread filling on one cake and sandwich with another cake.

Pie Filling Ingredients
 6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 jar marshmallow creme (about 7 oz)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer until creamy. Add sugar and salt to the butter; mix well. Add marshmallow creme and vanilla; blend well. Use immediately to fill Whoopie Pies or refrigerate covered up to 1 week.

(makes 12 Whoopie Pies)

 Here is my finished product! Not to shabby for my first Whoopie Pie!



2 comments:

  1. I've never made whoopie pies...but those look delicious! I might have to try that out tomorrow...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! Makes me crave chocolate ...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!